Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Monday, April 28, 2008

Survivors

Faith had to write a report on 5 people that she thought were survivors. People that overcame severe odds and were wonderful people. She chose herself. This is what she wrote:

ME
Before my sister died, I was great and wonderful (of course) but I think most of the light I am bringing is from after my sister's death. Everyone is staring to kinda get back to real life, except my mom. She still doesn't feel like cooking or cleaning or doing the laundry. That is where I come in. I try to help around the house and help my mom. I let my mom and dad go on dates leaving me babysitting. If you just quietly do everything your mom says it keeps her really happy, but it feels like I have to do more than that. I bring light to this world by helping my family and those around me. I know maybe a few of you think I am not that kind or good, but I think I am at least trying my best to be a good person, and I think I'm doing pretty well ( if I do say so myself ).

Mom's Disclaimer:
I would just like to point out that I have been doing so much better the last two weeks. All the clean laundry is currently folded AND I made dinner every night for the last two weeks.

Here's the last part of her report:
JESUS
We all know about Jesus. We celebrate his birth on Christmas and his death on Easter. (He actually was not born on Christmas we just have chosen that day to celebrate him), but that isn't the point, Jesus has brought light to this world. If he hasn't than who has? He was probably the best fighter out there. He was kind to everyone, he healed the sick and raised the dead. I know that not all of us go to church, but we all know a little about Jesus-right? He lead the way and showed us a great example of what we are supposed to do while we are on earth. I think he is the best fighter out there. He was the only man ever to be completely perfect. He even died for us. So that we could be repented of our sins. Jesus knew there was a darkness and he fought it. He used his power in a good way and did all the good he could.

I am so grateful to be the mom of this amazing girl.

16 comments:

  1. I never feel like cooking, cleaning or doing laundry either! In fact if I don't go get some laundry in right now, several members of the family will not have proper underclothing in the morning :)

    What a sweet little thing that Faith is. How precious to have a written account of her perspective and a little piece of her testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching. You have every right to be proud of being Faith's mom. She is amazing because she has an amazing mom. (And kudos to you for making dinner every night for the last two weeks - unfortunately, I can't say the same thing so thanks for motivating me to think about what's for dinner tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the clean house, laundry and cooking thing. I blame it on the winter blahs. Surely I'll be more motivated once spring hits. New clothes, grilling outside. Airing out the house. Surely her teacher relates.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, Of course Fri and Sat nights don't count!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fantastic report. i love the way she writes, so comfortable with her audience. and what a good daughter she is to help out around the house and babysit so you and mike can go on dates. nice job faith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't get a choice about choosing ourselves.
    And mom i am not going to ask you to print out my reports from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Mike. Faith has been really good about helping around the house. She helps me with the dishes, and encourages her sisters to pitch in. And she has been helping me in the yard as well. She is sweet and thoughtful and fun to be with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so this brought tears to my eyes. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps. That was a really long post, hope it didn't freak you out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just blogging through... I have read your blog since Christmas and have been touched by your thoughts and messages. Despite the fact that I don't really know you, I have privately prayed for you to have strength (I'm so sorry, this is sounding weird isn't it?) Anyway, thank you for sharing your strength with all of us. Your daughter's report inspires me to be a better mother to my daughter as unfortunately she is not really on Faith's level :) Oh well, something to aspire to. Thanks again. -Lana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Children can be so perceptive. What a sweet daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. faith is so sweet! how lucky you all are to have each other....poor faith: tell her we all love her as well (even though she is now mordified!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. faith really is an amazing girl.

    you too. you're an amazing girl too. and just a little bit prideful.

    (TOTALLY KIDDING!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Faith you are a gifted, talented, amazing, strong, girl. I didn't need to read your report to know that. Although, you are a very good writer. You have a light that shines. Tami you are an amazing person and mother. You don't need to justify anything. You are doing the best you can.
    I love you both!!!!!!
    We are way past due for a Sonic Outing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a remarkable child you are raising. I believe that beyond laundry and beyond dinner, the testimony of your child is something you can give yourself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Aunt Val.

    I was feeling all cheery just checking all of the Gardners blogs (cause we're the only geeks that haven't started blogging yet (or maybe that makes us the only ones that aren't geeks, anyway)) and next thing you know I'm sitting on the couch crying eating Oreos. Faith is one amazing girl, and so is her mother. I have so much respect and admiration for you and your family Tami. And don't feel self conscious. You just have to do what you do to get through.

    ReplyDelete