Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Which one is your favorite?

Mike and I went away for a much needed break from real life. We met this really chatty lady that worked in the bed and breakfast we stayed at. She asked us if there was a reason we came.

"Just a weekend away from the kids."
"How many kids?"
"5"
"Wow. How are you so tiny? You should be enormous." (Totally loving her at the moment.)
"How old are they?"
11, 10, 7, 4 and 2
Which one's your favorite?

I probably should have said, "my boy" and graciously excused myself but instead I found myself telling a stranger all about Joy. So she starts in on this story about how she and her friend had baby boys close together.

When her boy was 6 months old, her friend's boy died. She goes on to tell me that she doesn't talk to her friend anymore. She feels awkward and sad and a little guilty that she still has her son. He just turned 1 and she thinks it would be too hard for her friend to see what she is missing. She just doesn't know what to say around her friend so she avoids her. I told her that she should call her friend and let her friend decide if it's too hard. I suggested emailing her because you can say you are thinking of her without being put on the spot about what to say. I told her that I find great comfort in seeing the little girls that are my daughter's age. Yes it's sad and I miss her but I also love seeing the moments that I'm missing.

I hadn't really thought about how my friends were feeling or if I am uncomfortable to be around. This conversation made me so grateful for my friends. They have been wonderful. The friend that lets me cry in her kitchen, feeds me baked goods, and lets me stare longingly at her daughter. The friends that email sweet thoughts, call to check in, and are at my beck and call for favors. The friends that trim roses, take me to lunch, and listen to me complain about life while we walk. I can safely say that I don't think I would have made it without you.

6 comments:

  1. this post made me cry. what amazing friends you have that have helped you through this tough time and continue to help you. you gave fabulous advice to that b&b lady. i hope i am as good a friend as your friends are to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you and Mike had some time away. Interesting conversation with the lady you met - just my perspective but I don't think you've been uncomfortable to be around at all (not that I live that close or have been with you much but it is still my perspective). I, for one, could be a better friend to many and this was a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad that you and mike got away and that you were able to have that conversation. I'm glad that you have plenty around you to help suport you and shoulder some of your grief...consider this a cyber-hug and kiss...
    btw: read a bride most begrudging...very cute i really like historical novels and this one was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami...you are easy to love and that is why people flock to you. You help me through my hard moments as well...sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to give you perspective.

    xoxo

    PS....you are still glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love you!

    (i'm so glad you got away with mike.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your friends are so good to you. Your post was a good reminder to be a good friend and not shy away even when it could be awkward.

    Love you very much.

    ReplyDelete