Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memory Flags

Last weekend we were invited to The Sharing Place, a grief center for children, to make "Memory Flags". It was really neat to see the kids talking and sharing with other kids while working on such a neat project. We heard other people's experiences that made us feel very grateful for the ways we have been blessed.





We hung them up loud and proud.

Then we went to visit Joy's grave and it was raining so hard. I really had my heart set on a little ceremony type thing. I envisioned the cousins putting a butterfly in the ground and sharing a memory. Whatever! They were very good sports to stand out in the rain.


Sunday afternoon it was gorgeous. My parents, all my siblings, and I went to the cemetery to meet my grandma, aunts and uncles, and cousins who were gathering at my grandpa's grave. (He is buried in the same cemetery as Joy.) I was overwhelmed at the sight of so many people putting flowers on the graves. It was amazing to see so much love and joy as people were honoring their loved ones. I was really touched by the sight. My feelings of Memorial Day are forever changed.

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you guys all day yesterday. We love you so much. The yard signs look awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see how my mom was feeling. it was raining so hard that we were only there for like five minutes!!

    faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love Memorial Day! The cemetaries COVERED in flowers look so beautiful! I'm glad it was a good day for you! except the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flags, they turned out really nice! That is really too bad that it was raining. But the flowers and little butterflies look so pretty there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami,
    I just came across your blog and I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your sweet baby girl.

    Those flags are a beautiful, what a wonderful tribute to a sister and daughter and a life cut short.

    I often don’t know what to say in times like these, but know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Desi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami you have such a beautiful blog. Your children are all so beautiful. Each new picture I see of Grace or Hope looks more like you. I am glad your family could participate in that neat activity to remember Joy.
    You guys are such a great family.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete