Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's so "natural" about pitocin anyway?

So I've been having the eternal debate.

I read two of my angel mom friends delivery stories and they both beautifully describe the natural birthing process that they went through.

My last three baby deliveries have been epidural-free. It was very empowering to know that I could do it. I lived in "granola" land and felt a little bit heroic to join the throngs of women who have birthed babies naturally.
So now I'm back in happy valley where they hand out epidurals with breakfast and I really want one. I'm actually not scared of contractions, transition, or pushing (the last two have slid out with no pushing). I'm worried about afterwards. Delivering the placenta, massaging the uterus, getting stitches. The after birth pains are pretty intense. I really want to enjoy the process.
I want to hold my baby after delivery instead of being in pain and saying, "No thanks. I'll wait."

I feel like this time, as I bring a baby from heaven, I can save myself some pain whereas I couldn't escape the pain of sending one back to heaven. Where was my epidural then? I guess there's no epidural for the heart.

7 comments:

  1. "No epidural for the heart".....so sad and so profound. But I must weigh in on the epidural thing. If it makes you feel better and enjoy the experience more (which of course it DOES!), then do it! Don't be a hero! I am 100% for epidurals. That's my two cents. I am anxiously waiting to hear about any news!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm all for an epidurl...be happy and pain free----don't read aubrey's birthing story on her blog if you want to be pumped up to do the "natural" thing...she might just push you over the edge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you have already done it the last three times.... That's amazing! I believeit was the first time for both of your friends! That's awesome for them! But you've been there and done that three times! I had two natural two with epidurals and I loved the last epidural one it was so peaceful! Any choice you choose is great. I am so sorry about the pain in your heart........ I wish I could take it away. You are amazing, good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do what you feel like is right for you. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You deserve a beautiful experience that is right for YOU. (and the baby). Maybe pray about it, talk to Mike about it, write down your thoughts and feelings so that in the end you will feel like you made the best choice for your situation.

    And I can't wait to hear the name you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i validate you on your decision. god invented epi's for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've also done two with and two without. If you want a happy, peaceful memory please get the epidural. You deserve it! Can't wait to hear when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. an epidural for the heart..*sniff*.

    well good luck, cousin. no matter what you decide. and let me tell you..even though you already know..those afterpains SUCK. i needed an epidural just for THOSE.

    ReplyDelete