Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Tired Mourning

They left in shifts today.
Most mornings it is one big whirlwind. Today it was several in a row.
Husband had an early meeting.
School choir morning.
3 different carpools have been in my driveway.
My baby was up at 4 a.m.
I am tired.
But it's not a "go back to bed and sleep it off" tired. It's deeper. A fatigue clear in my bones and down to my toes.
It's an emotional, spiritual, and physical fatigue.
I went to a baby funeral on Saturday. One of those heart wrenching, nobody should have to bury their baby, kind of funerals. I cried more and felt more at this funeral then I have in a long time. The Stake President told my friend that it is an honor and a privilege to be the mother of a baby too perfect for this earth. I know this is true but it is not easy. She has been preparing for months for the birth of a baby that would not live but it is a painful thing to bury a child, even if you know.
I still think about Joy all the time. Her friends started preschool. Her friends have play-dates together. Her friends were in the primary program.
October is the month of her birth. I still crave all things pumpkin like I did when I was pregnant with her.
My sis-in-law recently found this picture. I love the spiky hair. She's 11 months old.
My baby (and the others) fill my time and my heart. But I think that every mother's heart has a chamber for each child and no other child can fill the chamber that's meant for Joy.

13 comments:

  1. I love you and your entire family. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet little Joy. Thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture.

    I'm so sorry for your friend.

    You're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking a lot about you this month. I think Joy shares a birthday with my dad. My heart too is aching...we would've been good company today. Sorry I had to reschedule.

    Hang in there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could be there to give you a big hug. wouldn't help the empty chamber, i know. We love you guys. Think about you and Joy a lot. Pray for lighter days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I wore my Joy necklace today...before I read your blog. Love and Hugs across the miles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes "an honor and a priviledge" doesn't make the fact that you miss her desperately go away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tami, your feelings are right and you have a beautiful way of expressing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tami,
    You are the most amazing woman ever, I have been thinking of your' sweet Joy a lot lately as well, with her Birthday right around the corner. I love you more than you know, and I would be there for you in a moments notice. I love you, my sweet sister Tami.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tami -
    Thank you for your note on my blog. I appreciated the kind words. Happy Birthday to beautiful Joy this month, too. I, too completely agree with the last paragraph on your post. There will always be a hole left, only to be filled by our girls. Thanks for posting your feelings. It was good to think about it in that way. Sending my love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Tami, you break my heart...I love you! Sorry I haven't been in touch--we think of you all often & miss you so! You're still very much a part of us, even though we haven't seen you forever.

    Your family is just gorgeous, and growing soooooooo fast! All my love to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing your feelings tami---they are good to hear and to ingest.
    ...what a cute picture of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Tami,

    My heart breaks for you thinking of your little Joy. I never got a chance to meet her, yet I feel like I know her because of your beautiful words.

    We miss you and your family and think of you often and wish you all the best!

    Melissa Woolf

    ReplyDelete