Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Wizard and I-Day 1

I guess it's time to post about our trip. I've had several people ask me if we got to see Wicked or even hit the parks before we had to come home.
We left Thursday morning around 6 a.m. (Incidentally, I was freezing. So I grabbed my heaviest winter coat, even though we were going to 70 degree weather. The girls were warmly wrapped in their blankets and they had jackets for evenings so I ended up the only one with a coat when we got to Idaho Falls where it was 20 below.)
We drove through Vegas. We actually were surprised at how easy the drive was. We got into L.A. around 4. We had gotten a hotel in Hollywood so we could relax before the show. Wicked started at 8 p.m. so we had plenty of time to shower, eat and hang out. We knew our hotel was pretty close to the theater but we didn't realize how close until we drove around the corner. So my husband let us out and went back and parked at our hotel and then we walked back after the show.



We were on row 12. The best seats!

This is the second time I have seen the show.
I LOVED it the second time. I really liked it the first time but I didn't know the story and I had only heard a few of the songs. Defying Gravity still blows me away. There is a new Elphaba and she was really good except she kind of choked out her low A in "I'm not that girl" which disappointed me (as a low alto that can also hit that note.) We saw the same Glinda a year ago and she has really come into her character. Everyone should see this show!
I sat in that theater with tears in my eyes thinking that one of my dreams had come true. I had taken my girls to Wicked.


What did I learn from this?
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

3 comments:

  1. what a treasure for your girls. i am still dying to see wicked. i have the book and i thought it was great. though (of course) the musical and the book are just a bit different...the music always blows me away.
    we were'nt able to go see Wicked when it was here in denver last year...maybe next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your girlies got to see that show, since they know the lyrics better than almost anyone! It sure is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "no good deed goes unpunished." amen.

    ReplyDelete