Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Monday, July 21, 2008

Welcome to The Club


A few months ago, I was at a Stake R. S. Women's Conference. It was one of those days when the tears flow. The messages were uplifting and I was really glad I was there. I was introduced to a few people who I didn't know, but they had heard about me. "Here's the person I was telling you about that lost her daughter." I was getting a little tired of being the one whose daughter died.
I went into my last class and the teacher, standing at the door, said, "Hi. What's your name?" After I said my name she said, "Oh, now, how do I know you?" I was a little exasperated and I blurted out, "My daughter died in January. That's how everybody knows me."
Her eyes immediately filled with tears and she put her arms around me and she said, "Welcome to the club. It's been 24 years since my little girl died." (Turns out she didn't know that and knows me because of another thing.)

The club.
It's sort of an elite group. The membership price is far more than anyone wants to pay. More than you think you can bear except somehow you pay it. The blessings and miracles are plentiful. The sorrow and tears overflowing.

I've met a few other people in the club. I find comfort in these sisters of mine. We share a bond like no other.
Lucy's mom wrote "I think I'm starting to understand better what the scriptures mean when they say "being alive in Christ". I want to be alive in Christ...and in Lucy. With their presence we can not only feel "normal" again, but like we're truly living. Alive. Loving. Serving. Joyous. Whole."
Molly reminds me that I am so very lucky to have four other kids to focus on and continue loving. She shared a quote from Neal A. Maxwell. "A cavity dug from sorrow becomes a receptacle for joy." (Did you know that I LOVE quotes that have joy in them?)
Camille's mom taught me to, "Force yourself to do something Physical (workout), Spiritual (pray, ponder and study scriptures), Mental (write or read some or exercise your brain), and Social (serve others or just get out and be with people) EVERYDAY. It is what the Savior did and if you do it everyday it will make you happier. It is the only way I know to claw out of the pit of sorrow."
Does Wii Fit count? (I'm getting pretty good at the yoga poses.:)

I can hardly believe that we just passed the six month mark. And as hard as it is to be in the club, it is wonderful to have a support group of loving people who know how it is.

One final thought from Elder Maxwell, "Meanwhile, there are no separate paths back to that heavenly home. Just one straight and narrow way, at the end of which, though we arrive trailing tears, we shall at once be “drenched in joy.”

I am counting on that!

10 comments:

  1. 6 months. I can't believe it.

    I saw that quote from Elder Maxwell on your friend Molly's blog (I admit, I am a blog-stalker of hers) and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there are others in the club that give you support and strength that none of us others who aren't in the club can do. I'm thankful for them...for you. Their thoughts and Elder Maxwell's quote are inspiring. And I think Wii Fit counts, personally...I'm impressed you can do the yoga poses. I'd be flat on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing to have such perspective and insight, Tami. I think about you all the time and pray for you. I have a friend who started reading my new blog and clicked on the link to yours. She's been reading it and told me to tell you that she thinks you are a phenomenal person and that you have really inspired her! You are the bomb! (And yes, I definitely think Wii Fit counts!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last quote about Drenched in Joy. That is perfect. I am so sorry about this club they call it. I am glad there are others to help you along. I feel so sad and so much pain for all of you. I hope that there are brighter days ahead. I think you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are awed by those in the club. We don't know how anyone could do it. We still pray and think about you every day. What an uplifting quote at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog for today or whenever you posted this one, completely goes along with my thoughts yesterday. I loved this blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "drenched in joy." so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this made me cry. i'm still crying and want you to know that we all think and pray for you and your family every day. and wii fit totally counts. especially the relaxing yoga poses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I found your blog. But this was touching. How difficult. I cannot imagine. I love your quotes and scriptures and thoughts. I hope there will be bright days as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all that you've shared. I joined your club this past February--I appreciate your description of it. It helps to hear how others are dealing with this. Add me to your support group. So sorry about your beautiful Joy--what a perfect name.
    Love,
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete