Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Friday, July 25, 2008

Life is like the Ropes Course


It has been several years since I have done the ropes course at our favorite family reunion spot, Aspen Grove. I used excuses of pregnancy, just given birth, or too out of shape. But let's face it, I was scared. I don't like doing certain things. I like to whine and have excuses for things that are too hard.
This year I really wanted to do it. I had no good excuse not to and I realized that there are harder things in life than the ropes course.
I hesitate showing the "behind" shots but it's proof. First you have to climb the log. (The foot-holes are small and the log is swinging a little bit and it's slippery. Oops sorry. There I go whining again.)




When I got to the wall climbing part, I realized that I would have to make a leap of faith because the foot-holes were a little too far apart to just climb up. This is where I became very grateful for "that guy." You know the one standing at the bottom holding the ropes. I knew he was not going to let me fall. When I made the leap, he pulled tight. I could feel him helping me just enough that I could do it.

I knew I could do it.

I realized then that it was like this life journey that we are on. Life is hard. There are many times when we don't think we can make it to the next step but God is there pulling tight on the ropes. He lets us work hard enough that it is still our life but he lifts us up when it's too hard to go on. I know this is true. I know He will never let us fall.

With God's help, I can do hard things.

8 comments:

  1. You always seem to write just what I need to hear. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    I can do hard things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how real life experiences can make the spiritual principles sink in. Thanks for this reminder.

    (And I think the bum shots look great - you skinny thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully put! I too whine and make excuses when things are hard or I don't want to do them but when you finish that feeling of accomplishment is so grand. I think thats why the Lord tightens just a little but ultimately lets us do it on our own. Darn those learning experiences!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Tami!! That is so awesome that you overcame a fear and you did it. I needed to hear what you said that you can do hard things with God's help. That is so true. You and your hubby are so cute......you look like teenagers!! Praying for you always-Jenna Lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami G Weaver! You popped into my mind this morning after all these years and I decided to google you (secretly hoping you had a blog) and found your darling little girl's obit which lead to your blog. You guys all look great! I have loved going thru your posts. My deepest condolences for your sweet Joy. I can't imagine your heartache. Send me an email to: cjb2755@aol.com so we can catch up. Christi Billquist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami-

    I am just catching up on your blog. I loved the post about "the club" (I may have to steal the idea for a blog post of my own. I have so much been wanting to share you other amazing women with others but couldn't figure out the right way. I think "the club" is perfect." )

    I'm proud of you for doing the ropes course. I am afraid of heights but am getting better at conquering my fears these days, nothing can be as hard as what we've gone through. The risks seem so minimal, don't they.

    I know I will hit the six month mark someday. I used to think it would be magical and the pain would be gone. I see know as time goes on for me and you, that this is not the case, and I'm ok with that. God sustains us somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice insightful thoughts about the ropes course, tami. i did that while in college at a leadership retreat and was terrified but very proud of myself when i completed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post. Nice job on doing the ropes course. And I sure liked that post one of "A little bit of Hope." I love that book from Camille. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete