Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Finding Joy

A sweet friend sent me a card that included this message from a Mormon Tabernacle Choir Broadcast in February:



Finding Joy
Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
One of the most popular courses taught at Harvard University is a class called “Positive Psychology.” In essence, the professor teaches how to find joy in living. One semester more than 800 students enrolled. What does it say about our society that we must teach “finding joy” at the highest levels of academia?

Many myths and misconceptions swirl about how and where to find joy. For so many, it is elusive. Some think that joy comes from money or material possessions, so they conclude that adding more of them will surely bring increased joy. Or we may think we can only have joy if our relationships are always stable and our careers are always successful.

But real joy does not depend on our social status or our bank account, and it can even be found in times of turmoil and disappointment. Joy springs from our attitude and outlook. It comes from simple gestures, like making time for family members or friends, clearing up a misunderstanding, expressing gratitude for the efforts of others, celebrating their successes, or taking time to listen to their worries.

This kind of joy is available not only during times of peace, when all is going well, but also when we face challenges, heartache, or pain. In fact, that’s when joy does its greatest service—it brings balance and peace to the harshness and stresses of everyday living. It lifts our sights and settles our souls.

Ask yourself where you find joy, and then diligently look for it there. If, at the end of the day, we remember and prize each moment of real joy, we will learn for ourselves the truth of what the Psalmist promised: “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.”

8 comments:

  1. I love that Post. She is the cutest girl I have ever seen!!! We do have to be reminded of where true Joy comes from in todays world. I will never think of the name or the word Joy the same since seeing and reading about your Joy. She just makes me smile, I love all her pictures and stories about her. But she makes me realize the important Joys in life. Thanks for letting me read your blog! You guys seem like such a cool family!!! I hope you are doing well, and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tam. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I've never seen that picture of Joy...I just LOVE it. I also never look at the word "joy" without thinking "Joy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat...very, very neat. And such a cute picture of Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope after a night of weeping, joy does come to you in the morning. thanks for sharing. Love you guys. Can't wait to see y'all in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this article. Absolutely loved it. It's not even 9 a.m. and I'm having a rough morning. This article is helping. We'd love to see you guys again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great talk. I am going to read it tonight to my family for family night. Joy has the perfect name. She truly is "REAL JOY" Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stumbled onto your blog. Love this talk on Joy. I should listen to those Motab broadcasts more.

    ReplyDelete