Joy

Joy
October 2005-January 2008

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Can't Fight this Feeling

My nephews are visiting from out of town, so we decided to go see Horton Hears a Who. It has been forever and a half since I have seen a movie I could recommend. The movie is visually stunning, has a great message, and hey no potty humor. At the end I too wanted to burst into song. Does it date me if I swoon over REO Speedwagon? (Okay I was 10 when this song came out.)


On to my book review. This is my new favorite book. A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist. Just the right amount of everything. Well written. I recommend staying in bed a whole day and reading it. Near the end the studly male protagonist proclaims, "I give up, God. You made me. You know how I am. I cannot keep my distance. Nor can I keep those I love alive. Only you can do that. Only you are God. I give over. I fall prostrate before you. What you see fit to bless me with I will rejoice over. When you takest away, I will turn to you for solace. For you are the One and Only God."

12 comments:

  1. I can't see the title. What is it called? Who wrote it? Is it an LDS book or can I get it at the libary? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not LDS fiction but I wouldn't be surprised if the author is LDS. I got mine at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new book recommendations. What else would you recommend by the way? I would love your top ten (or top twenty) book list...send it my way when you get a second.

    We also saw the Horton movie yesterday and I, too, was moved to want to stand up and belt out REO Speedwagon at the end. Actually, that was my very favorite part of the whole movie...I thought it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you find "that book" that just fills your needs for the time being! Sounds like a good one! Hope you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've heard good things about horton. i think i will get the book from the library and read it to ava before taking her.

    and thanks for the book review. i will put it on hold and look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have gone to the movie instead of tending.... Besides the Cougs lost the Jazz lost... Good thing Boise St pulled it out in Triple OT

    ReplyDelete
  7. REO speedwagon is my era. Yes, I have all their C.D's. Sounds like a great movie. I love that qoute you posted from that book. Thanks for the hot tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my favorite from reo is "when i said that i love you i meant that i love you forever!!!"

    and now, after reading this post... totally stuck in my head.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not LDS, a Christian writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw Horton Hears a Who last Night and I absolutely loved it! Me and my buddies were laughing the WHOLE time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think that i'll have to read the book as well. though it might be a while. for some reason i 've got lots of books to read right now. mine at the moment is: Chocolat (very different from the movie...but still good)
    i've heard good about Horton as well...we might just have to take the boys on a saturday morning some time.

    ReplyDelete